The holiday season seems a bit brighter for abused and neglected children at The Settlement Home for Children. On December 19, the non-profit agency received a grant from the Andy Roddick Foundation for a very generous amount.
The funds provided by the Andy Roddick Foundation will support critical services for abused and neglected children, including therapeutic, medical and education needs. These programs help children heal emotionally, receive necessary medical attention, fill in the gaps in their school credit and graduate from high school, while teaching them how to grow into independent young adults.
The Settlement Home served more than 150 children and their families and provided 23,527 days of residential services in 2011. The state reimburses 70% of the daily rate of care per child, leaving a 30% funding gap which equates to $1,200,000. The lack of funding provided by the state makes gifts, such as the grant from the Andy Roddick Foundation, so vital for the agency.
Since 2005, the Andy Roddick Foundation has selected The Settlement Home as one of the beneficiaries for its annual fundraising gala, which have featured concerts with legendary performers Lionel Ritchie, Jimmy Buffet and Sir Elton John.