The month of May has great significance to us at The Settlement Home, it’s National Foster Care Month. During May, we recognize the efforts of foster parents, families, volunteers, staff members and other professionals who are committed to helping children in foster care find loving homes.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services there are more than 400,000 children and youth in foster care.
So what can you to promote awareness during May? The website FosterCareMonth.org provides a variety of ways you can help.
– Wear a blue ribbon during May to promote awareness for National Foster Care Month.
– Make a financial contribution to support the personal enrichment or education of a young person in foster care.
– Contribute to an organization working to improve public policy and heighten public awareness.
– Volunteering with a local foster care program to provide academic enrichment opportunities for young people in your community.
– Raise awareness through presentations to your faith-based congregation, civic group, PTA or other neighborhood associations. Encourage your community to come together to identify families and resources that help young people in foster care thrive.
– Tutor a child in foster care.
– Help youth in foster care gain employment skills or find a job by contacting the Independent Living Program in your area.
These are just a few ways you can help change lives. For more suggestions, click here.
For more ideas, contact us at www.settlementhome.org or 512-836-2150. Together, we can make a difference in the lives of children in foster care!